Boys Varsity Football · Football Starts Winning Streak

The Cardinal Ritter Varsity Football Team began a winning streak on Friday knocking off Linton-Stockton in an overtime thriller, 26-20.  The game was so close and exciting throughout that the fans were treated to extra football.  The Raiders were the last to score giving them the victory.

The game started off with the Miners receiving the ball.  They began to drive the ball down the field but turned the ball over on downs giving it to the Raiders in their own territory.  Shortly after getting the ball, the Raiders scored with Jack “Rabbit” Henninger finding Timmy Godsil for a 64 yard touchdown pass.  After the extra point the Raiders began with a lead, 7-0.

Linton-Stockton received the ball and again began driving the ball into the Raiders part of the field.  The CRHS defense forced another fourth down.  The Miners went for it and ran a run play to the right that was stuffed by Darrell “Quicksilver” Roberson to give the ball back to Cardinal Ritter 1:42 in the first quarter.

After some back and fourth the Raiders found the ball again and drove it into the opposing side.  Going into the 2nd quarter, the Raiders were faced with a decision on fourth and short and called Henninger’s number for a quarterback keeper and a first down.  The Raiders drove it more but again were faced with a 4th down decision.  This time they elected to punt.  Unfortunately, the kick was blocked and ran all the way back to the Raiders 46 yard line.  Linton ended up scoring a touchdown on the drive to even the score up at 7.

Cardinal Ritter could not gain ground on the next possession and gave the ball back to the Miners who drove it all the way down to the 1 yard line.  On fourth and 1 Linton-Stockton tried to punch it in for a score, but were stopped by a host of Raiders.  Cardinal Ritter took the ball and on the first play from scrimmage, Henninger threw a 20 yard dime to KJ Majors for a first down.  That was all the Raiders could do before the halftime whistle as they went into the locker room tied 7-7.

To begin the third, the Raiders received the ball and drove it down for a score that was capped off by a touchdown pass from Henninger to Aiden Robinson.  LaDarryl Woods kicked the extra point to put the Raiders up 14-7.  That lead was short lived as the Miners came back to score again to tie it at 14 a piece.

The rest of the quarter was a fight in the trenches with neither team scoring.  Then came the exciting 4th quarter.  Linton-Stockton started things off with scoring to go up 20-14.  The could not convert the extra point which meant the Raiders could win it with a score and an extra point.

Cardinal Ritter got the ball back but couldn’t do anything with it on their next drive and were forced to punt.  The Miners tried to use their ground game to eat up the clock but gave the ball back to the Raiders with just under 6 minutes to go in the game.  The Raiders capitalized by driving the length of the field and found the end-zone with a catch from Reid Swails for the score.

The Raiders could not make the kick and the score was again deadlocked at 20 until the end of regulation.

The Miners won the toss and elected to start with the ball first in overtime.  The student section ran down to the end-zone to get a better look at their Raiders and to give them some extra juice when they needed it.  Linton-Stockton couldn’t do anything with the ball and on 4th and 7 could not convert the score.  This meant if the Raiders scored it would be game, Raiders.  On 3rd down, Henninger dropped back to pass and threaded the needle to Godsil for the last score of the game and the Raider victory.

St. Vincent Field went nuts as the Raiders ran over to their fans and sung the school fight song.

The Raiders were led on offense by Henninger who had 10 completions for 251 yard and 4 touchdown.  Leading the receiving core was Godsil with 4 catches for 100 yards and 2 TDs.  Swails was productive picking up 67 yards and a touchdown and Robinson took in the other touchdown on a 35 yard pass for his only catch of the night.  Woods had a catch for 21 yards, Roberson had 2 for 6 yards and Donavan Morris had 2 catches for 22 yards.  The rushing attack was led by Roberson who had 12 carries for 62 yards.

The defense was led yet again by Zach Feltz with 13 tackles, 9 of them being solo.  Alec Frazee was a beast with 7 tackles followed by Majors, Ashton Hall, James Highsaw, and Joe Bishop with 6.  Bishop also added a sack while Highsaw recovered a fumble.  Morris added an interception to go along with his 5 tackles and Javon “The Shield” Rodgers was back in action with 5 tackles too.

The Raiders play again Friday as they take on Triton Central at home for CYO night.  The theme for the student section is USA so come out in your Red, White and Blue and cheer on your Raiders!