Boys Junior Varsity Soccer, Boys Varsity Soccer · #5 Soccer Keeps Streak Alive With Tie


The #5 ranked Cardinal Ritter Boys Soccer Program hosted 3A powerhouse Pike on Tuesday and came away without losing their unbeaten streak.  The JV team came away with a loss, but the Varsity team held their own to come away with a 1-1 tie.
The JV team took the field first in their match up against the Red Devils. Just 6 minutes in, Pike scored their first goal of the match and would add 2 more goals in the following 10 minutes. The Raider defense dug their heels in for the remainder of the half and were able to prevent the Red Devils from extending their lead, but were unable to score a goal of their own to shrink the deficit.
Pike scored 2 more quick goals to start the second half to bring the score to 5-0. Cardinal Ritter struggled to get the ball moving and build the attack throughout the second half, and therefore were unable to put much pressure on the Pike defense. The defense held up for most of the half, but would go on to give up 1 more late goal for a final score of 6-0.
The Varsity t eam took the field next and immediately looked to score the first goal of the game. The Raiders gave the Pike defense fits with

Scott”… Scott… Scott, Scott, Scott, Scott… Scott… Scott, Scott, Scott, Scott… Scott… Scott, Scott, Scott, Scott” ROGGEMAN consistently finding his way behind the defense, but were unable to score the go ahead goal. Cardinal Ritter’s defense looked strong and prevented Pike from getting any dangerous shots on goal to help keep the game at 0-0 going into halftime.

Once again, the Raiders started the half strong, but were rewarded this time when Jason “Holding Roll” Hofer finished off a cross from Andy “Bend It Like” Bonilla on a free kick from the right side. The boys soccer team kept up the pressure and looked like they might add another goal or 2 as Pike’s defense struggled to contain Hernan Manzanares on the outside, but the goal keeper managed to keep the score at 1-0. For the final 15 minutes, momentum began to shift in the Red Devils favor, and with just 10 minutes left, they scored the tying goal and the game would go on to end 1-1.