Boys Varsity Soccer · Boys Soccer Has Busy Weekend

The Cardinal Ritter Varsity Boys Soccer Team had a busy weekend as they competed in 3 games, starting on Friday night and ending Saturday night.  First they traveled to Zionsville for the annual Zionsville Classic Tournament for their Friday night and Saturday morning games.  After that, they came home to host Arsenal Technical High School in the City Tournament.
The weekend began as the Raiders took on the hosting Zionsville Eagles.  Cardinal Ritter started the game a little slow, spending a little more time defending than they’d like. “Big” Victor Cervantes and the defense did a good job of preventing the Eagles from getting clean shots and with some help from “The Wizard of” Ozvaldo Carlos in goal were able to keep the game tied. By the halfway point in the first half, the Raider offense started to show signs of life as they began moving the ball around with more consistency and getting into attacking positions. Neither team was able to get themselves onto the scoreboard before the halftime whistle. Cardinal Ritter’s midfield looked more comfortable to start the second half, with Chris Murray doing a much better job of advancing the ball and getting some looks on goal. Octavio “Tavi” Hernandez almost put the Raiders in front when he put a volley off the post from a corner kick early on. Zionsville would respond by scoring the first goal of the game with a little under 30 minutes left. The Raiders continued to pressure Zionsville’s defense with Jose Chavez creating some dangerous opportunities on his runs from outside, but still couldn’t find a way to beat the keeper.  Zionsville would extend their lead close to the 10 minute mark and would hold on to their 2-0 lead from the
For the second game of the Zionsville Classic, the Raiders found themselves facing off against the Terre Haute North Patriots and once again spent the early stages of the game on the defensive. The Patriots would make them pay for it this time with a goal in the opening minutes for a 1-0 lead. Terre Haute continued to push the attack, but Cardinal Ritter was able to cover the shooting lanes for the most part and keep the deficit from growing. With 17 minutes to go, Cervantes tied the game up as he headed a corner kick from Murray into the back of the net. This seemed to be the spark the offense needed as they quickly went on the attack and added a second goal by Jose Chavez a few minutes later, a lead they would take into the half.
Cardinal Ritter continued to keep the pressure on to start the second half by knocking the ball around well, but struggled to create many shots. As the half wore on, the Patriots started to possess the ball more and move it down the field. This would lead to the tying goal with 20 minutes to go in the game. With the clock ticking under 10 minutes and the game looking like it was going to remain deadlocked, Terre Haute was able to finally regain their lead with 2 late goals to bring the final score to 4-2.
After that, it was back to Cardinal Ritter to take on the Arsenal Tech Titans for the second round of the City Tournament.  The Raiders found themselves looking at a 1-0 deficit 3 minutes into the game and struggling to stop the Titans from moving the ball down the field. Despite that, Carlos was able to do enough in goal to keep that deficit from growing. The Raiders would eventually settle in and start to create some pressure of their own. This paid off 20 minutes into the game when Cervantes tied the game up on a pass from Chavez. Cardinal Ritter continued to push the attack and Arsenal Tech found themselves giving up multiple free kicks as they struggled to keep up.  Chavez would capitalize on one of those free kicks with 10 minutes to go to take a 2-1 lead. The Raiders looked like they would take that lead into halftime, but after a crucial mistake on defense, gave up the tying goal with under a minute to go.
The Titans carried that momentum into the second half, jumping ahead in the first 5 minutes of the half. The Raiders continued to fight, but found themselves defending more and more as the half wore on. The pressure would continue to build until Arsenal Tech added to their lead with 20 minutes remaining. At this point, the Raiders were fatigued from defending and struggled to regain control of the game and would give up 2 more late goals for a final score of 6-2.
Up next: 9/30 JV vs Brebeuf 6:00PM
              10/1 Varsity @ Monrovia 6:00PM